This is one of the more adventurous holidays I have ever been on, so I thought i would share it with anyone who might be interested, and also use this blog as a bit of a journal. Forgive me if that makes it a bit self-indulgent in places.
I wish I was one of those people who could sleep on planes. We took three flights, about 20 hours of flying plus some ground time in between and I didn't get a wink of sleep the whole time. Consequently, I felt really wasted when we finally got to our accommodation in Selcuk.
We flew to Istanbul via Singapore, then got on a plane to Izmir, got a car there and drove to Selcuk. I got to try (for part of the time) International Business Class, which was alot different to economy. Very comfortable and well spacious, although rather solitary since the seats are individual. Anyway, the flights were all uneventful which, given the high profile of mystery plane mishaps at the moment, was a relief. Watched "12 years a slave" and did some reading.
But having had no sleep, I felt very brain dead. Nevertheless, we are in an amazing place and don't have much time so sightseeing needs to start right now. I did nearly get run over when I tried to cross a road in my demented state but apart from that, we are just amazed at the foreign-ness of this place, and the age of the ruins.
Anyway, the food at the restaurant was amazing. Lamb kebab, eggplant and tomato, yoghurt, cucumber, all so wonderfully Turkish. Dessert was baklava. I could not believe I was eating baklava in Turkey.
| Grave of John |
Outside the church of St John, a man tried to sell us some “ancient” coins. We had been warned to steer cleer. Its illegal to bring Turkish relics out of the country, and the coins are most probably fake. He claimed to be an archaeologist. I had my doubts. We didn't buy any. Cats sat on us in the ruins. You would not want to come to Turkey if you hated cats.
Anyway, its time to go. If you read my blog, let me know. Today, we will see some amazing places from the bible in Ephesus. Can't wait.
| I wonder if my TAC friends recognise this? |
2 comments:
Thanks for the blogpost - enjoyed reading day 1! Looking forward to more :) ....
What a blessing to be over there!
We miss you back here at TAC!
M.
Awesome holiday. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next chapter.
And yes- I recognize the final photo. :-)
David F
Post a Comment