Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Sunday

Jesus is Risen
and because he has, we have a responsibility to worship him with our whole lives
and we do that by caring for the people around us the way he would do
but its very hard. I think the hardest thing is knowing what to say to people. I have been thinking about this on two levels.
Firstly, what to say when people are grieving. Most people say they don't know what to say. Well of course they don't because there are no magic words that will make  a tragic situation better or stop the pain. But it seems that many many people just back away from the hurt person for fear of saying the wrong thing. Talk to a hurt person. They don't want advice or insight. They want you to listen to them, to cry with them, to be with them, to grieve with them. You don't have to say anything. It can be awkward and it can be scary, but its so much better than leaving your friend to grieve on their own.
Secondly, what to say if you think you can see that your friend can do something about their problem, but you are scared or alienating or hurting them.
That, I don't know. Jesus spoke some hard truths to people sometimes, but I am not him. I don't have his authority and I don't have his warmth or wisdom. I am not prepared to take the risk that she will feel judged. So I will do other things to care for her, but not do what could be the best thing.
So, that's not really much to do with the resurrection of Jesus, or everything to do with it.

No comments: