Wednesday, April 10, 2013

An odd memory from high school

Its weird the things that stick with you. I recall in high school a Christian girl complaining that her parents took alot of vitamins. For her, this was sad evidence of their worldly lifestyle. It made sense at the time.

This comes back to me every time I go to my collection of vitamins or other supplements. On the kitchen bench so I remember to take them daily is Glucosamine  to keep the arthritic changes in my hand from getting worse, Caltrate to ward off osteoarthritis, which runs in my family, krill oil (super strength) to bring down my cholesterol and a multivitamin (for the over 50s) for everything else. One time I took all of them at once on an empty stomach. I won't be doing that again.

So "whats wrong with taking health supplements?" I ask the memory of my school friend? These ones at least do seem to have some scientific credibility.

Her reply would be (now she is even older than me and no doubt decorating her kitchen bench in a similar way) that the point she was making wasn't anti-vitamin but pro-Jesus. Her parents were putting their hope in their health and that's a dangerous thing to do because it doesn't matter how powerful your fish-oil is, everybody dies. We can and should look after our earthly bodies as well as we can but always with our eyes on the one who will soon be giving us a body that will never let us down again.

"Do not collect  for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:19-20

No comments: