Wednesday, April 3, 2013

School Scripture Lessons

I never really wanted to be a scripture teacher. I started out of a feeling of obligation. But then I discovered (during my very first lesson) that the joy and blessings that came along with it could not be over-estimated. I wish I had started years earlier. In brief the blessings include

  • seeing the truths of God make sense to the students and fill them with excitement about knowing him
  • learning these truths more fully myself as I get to know how God has revealed himself to mankind
  • learning to explain profound stuff in a simple way that resonates with the students
  • being reminded constantly what God has done for us
  • getting to be part of a lovely team of people
  • being prayed for by school parents and teachers
  • getting the privilege of telling people about Jesus
  • seeing the students grow in their understanding of God over time
  • finding out years later that kids have given their lives to God. 
  • putting what I learn in scripture into practice in other areas of my life including parenting, church and personal relationships
  • joy - lots of it
  • seeing God work through my weakness. One of the most helpful things I ever learnt about scripture teaching was that I wasn't very good at it. 
These are just the blessings that spring to mind today. 
If you have ever thought about teaching scripture, pray about it now. If you think you could never do it, find another teacher and become his/her helper in the classroom so you can learn from them, be part of the ministry and perhaps in time take on a class of your own. An extra person in the classroom makes a huge difference. 
There are some misconceptions going around about scripture - that its poorly done, that its indoctrination, that its forced on kids and families, that its funded by taxpayers, that its a waste of time. If you would like to discuss these issues, please go ahead. I would be happy to reply. 

No comments: